Indirect tax snapshot
Qatar does not currently have VAT, GST or sales tax. Qatar signed the GCC VAT Framework Agreement to introduce VAT since 2018. At present, the United Arab Emirates, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Oman are the four GCC states to implement VAT and it is expected that Qatar may implement it in year 2023. There is currently uncertainty as to the timeframe for implementation and we are awaiting draft legislation and regulations to be issued.
Businesses are advised to monitor developments in Qatar and consider and assess the future impact of VAT’s introduction. In particular:
- Develop a draft roadmap and project plan
- Consider VAT if upgrading or implementing a new billing/ERP system
- Training and awareness for employees
- Stakeholder awareness and communication
- Changes to systems and required customer and transactional data
- Registration requirements
- Liability of revenues and costs (and impact on cash and cash-flow)
- Changes to policies and procedures.
For further information on indirect tax in Qatar please contact: